Monday, December 31, 2012

Nuns and conjugation

One of the highlights of my time here is the twice-weekly Italian class I have been attending at The Croce Verde.  The class is aimed at visiting workers and so many of the pupils have been and gone.  We have had kind and hilarious Senegalese, warmth from the Cote d'Ivoire, French, Mexicans, an Ecuadorian nun named Carmen (could not help but picture her conjugating with a rose between her teeth), a fluent Italian speaker (?)  from Libya , glamorous Dutch and even someone from the North of England.

My enduring loves are a clutch of Romanian girls who took me under their collective wing and marvelled at my inability to grasp even the simplest of phrases. One of them has a market stall and if trade was slow on the day of the class we would each get a chicken.

This is our farewell Christmas lesson..


A big thank you to our instructor,Theresa, for being so patient with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment