Sunday, November 11, 2012

Love-child bread

Heading off to London.

One of the things I miss the minute I leave Pietrasanta is Keara's bread


On weekends, Keara hones her talent as a master home baker.  This is to the delight of anyone who is lucky enough to get a slab, even a full loaf, on a Monday morning. She gives unto.

It is the best sourdough that I have ever tasted...it is the best bread that I have ever tasted.  

Things like this do not just happen.

Sourdough is made using a starter which is a carefully tended flour and water mixture that attracts natural yeasts from the air to, if you know what you are doing, form a beery broth that will keep, with regular feeding with flour and water, for thousands of years.  As it is borne of the ambient air, every starter is different and mutable.  So no two loaves of sourdough bread are ever the same.

As far as I can tell, Keara's starter contained some of Inger's to encourage it in the first place.  Inger is also a master home baker.  The starter that kicks this bread into action has grown into its own body.  It is their love-child.

This is bread that does not make you fat...this is bread that tastes, smells and feels like bread ought to.  This is bread that makes me randy. 

Pisa Centrale with thoughts of my growing dependency..

No comments:

Post a Comment