Sunday, November 11, 2012

Waste of good marble

As Leonardo pointed out, as soon as you pierce marble, the holes set up a dramatic contrast with the white of the stone..bleaching it out almost.  So to compete with the holes, I have to give the form a lot more wellie.  Then there is the big worry that this is a waste of good marble.  This is a mildly irksome, but mostly an odd thing to think about a work in progress...in fact about a sculpture at all.  But it has me thinking along the lines of the relationship between the value of the sculptural form being worthy of the material it is made in.  And although I am probably only venting some internal struggle, this may have inadvertently sparked my next move.  I want to know about beauty..marble, devotion and banality.  And I am tempted to see how very not beautiful I can make this beautiful material..how very unworthy it is possible for the form to be of it's parent lump.

No comments:

Post a Comment